Monday, May 7, 2012

It all began ...


These beautiful flowers ... and I know, my photo doesn't do them justice ... are from friends Kenneth and Patricia. Phyllis and I are still enjoying them.




I have to be careful.


I’ve learned, the hard way, that all it takes to empty a room during a family gathering is simply to say, "It all began ... "


Still, my recent absence from "Chosen Words," Facebook, Twitter, etc., did begin. And rather unexpectedly, I must say. 


I suppose I could simply let it go at that. 


Or maybe not. 


I’ll try to be brief, though. 


It was early on a Saturday morning. We were expecting our son, Alan, to arrive later that day from San Francisco. The next day had been planned for a gathering of the whole family. Meanwhile, I was headed for my recliner in the living room to kick back for a few minutes. (I call it "meditation," but you know what it is)


I didn’t make it.


Somewhere in the dining room I tripped, tried to regain my balance, tripped again ... and maybe again ... before falling backward and hitting my rib cage on a chair. All of it seemed so unreal, like it was happening in slow motion, but there was no doubting the pain in my ribs.


The family gathering, such as it was, took place on Sunday ... but at the hospital.


However, I was soon back home ... thank you very much ... where, with tons of assistance ... I’ve been learning to deal with all that goes with at least one broken rib and a lot of bruises.


Progress seems to have been slow (doesn’t it always?) ... but I do seem to have made a lot of it, in itsy-bitsy increments, thanks to a lot of attention ... and healing help ... 


The greatest risk right now, I’d say, is that I’m on the verge of becoming a "spoiled brat" ... and at my age, too!


"Chosen Words"? I think I’ll eventually get back to that, too, with a poem or two, if all goes well ... but slowly, slowly.


Meanwhile, my thanks for the good wishes ... those electronic pats on the back ... and those that came via snail mail, too. They’ve all helped so much in the healing process. Thank you, one and all.


And special thanks to those who didn’t bolt from the room this time when I said, "It all began ... "   

No comments: