Saturday, April 2, 2011

It's So Simple






"Writing a poem is as simple as pouring a cup of coffee ... "

Oh, do read on. 


Before we're finished, I will have led you down the winding garden path with still another poem about writing. As always, my usual disclaimer: I write about writing, not because I'm expert, but because the process intrigues me so.


As you will see, as you work your way through the poem, I don't think writing a poem ... or writing anything for public consumption, for that matter ... is a simple matter. Nor need it be so very complicated that only a select few may do it.


But the end product, I think, should give the appearance of having been done with ease ... not flippantly or shallow, but done with a certain polish about it which may intrigue the reader, without getting in the way of the poem itself. 


It should appear to have been easily, naturally written, and none of the hard labor of producing it need show through.


What I'm saying in the poem, I guess, is that a poem should come to the reader with the ease one experiences in simply pouring a cup of coffee.


I hope you'll have a sip ... hope you enjoy it.



IT'S SO SIMPLE



Writing a poem is as simple as pouring
a cup of coffee. First, though, you plant

a seed, wait for the sprout, nurture it,
then transplant the seedling, let it mature,

hope that frost doesn't kill the buds,
let the bees pollinate blossoms, wait

for the beans to mature, pick the beans,
dry them, haul them, roast them, transport

them again, package them, grind them,
add water, let them leap as they


percolate and you keep an eye on the clock.
Then you simply pour, sit back and enjoy.
© 2006

(originally published in 
ByLine magazine)

Today's word: percolate

No comments: