Saturday, September 18, 2010

Autumn's Leaves




I know ... those who have long memories will recall having seen this one before ... but I hope they ... and you ... will forgive my repeating myself.

It is autumn-like again here in Ohio ... and the trees in my neck of the woods have begun showing tinges of autumn hues.

Now where did I put that rake?

Even with all the raking involved, I still consider autumn my favorite season. Oh, there are certain redeeming qualities about spring, the new growth signaling the end of winter. And summer, too, if it doesn't get unbearably hot ... I like the good walking that season provides. And even winter has its moments of beauty.

But autumn ... well, there's just something about autumn ... quiet, cool evenings ... the play of late sunshine across the colors of the foliage ... and sunrise ... oh, sunrise simply outdoes itself. I like the show that the trees provide. Always have. Always will ... even with all that raking.

The poem:


AUTUMN'S LEAVES

Across the fence,
my neighbor's trees
droop with tons
of gorgeous leaves,
and here I stand
with a single rake
to defend against
the inevitable.
© 1996
(originally published in Capper's)

Today's word: inevitable

No comments: