Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Unsinkable Tulips






The photo, I must confess, isn't my best. But it does sort of go with today's poem.


I like the profusion of blossoms, even though they may be a little fuzzy, a little out of focus (actually, a lot out of focus, but you get the idea, right?).


So is the general outlook right now ... a little fuzzy, a little out of focus (but isn't that so often the case?) ... but I say with confidence, as I often do when we're struggling through another Ohio winter: Remember, we're another day closer to ...


That's right ... SPRING!

I know, I know ... winter has some visual assets, too ... some snows can be beautiful ... but at the price of bitter cold ... and the cold seems to become more bitter as I age.


But then I keep reminding myself that we're another day closer to ... ah, yes, spring ... and I survive the winter.


Meanwhile, the poem:


UNSINKABLE TULIPS


We fretted over
spring's unseasonable
warmth, then frost, snow,
bitter, freezing nights,
and our hopes withered,
but here you are
again, reds and yellows
defiantly brilliant,
leaving us wondering
why we ever doubted.
© 2002
(originally published in 
PKA's Advocate)
Today's word: profusion

No comments: