Tuesday, April 7, 2009

So Quiet




Yes, I've been quiet recently ... and I haven't been on spring break ... at least not in the usual sense of going off to cavort on the beaches.


Regular visitors to "Squiggles ... and Giggles" already know the sad story: I've had phone line and computer problems. Oh, have I ever!


But now I'm back (I think) ... and let's let it go at that ... except I did miss sharing thoughts with you ... hearing your take on what I'd posted ... and I'm looking forward to resuming our "conversations" here.


Last night, when I finally thought I could safely consider attempting another entry here ... assuming, of course, that I might remember HOW to do that ... the title of today's poem came to mind.


It's another poem which preserves a family memory ... more specifically, a memory of a visit to the place where our grandson lives ... and of the good times Grandma and he shared ... and, of course, I was not left out of the activity, either.


It eventually found its way into Hollyhocks, my second collection, published by Finishing Line Press.


I think the poem pretty well tells its own story:


SO QUIET


The house was so quiet
this morning when I walked
down the hallway that I
could hear the clock ticking,
thought I heard tired fireflies
grumping softly to themselves
somewhere outside, searching
the grass for a cool place
to spend the day, the cicadas
climbing their leafy green trees,
almost humming to themselves
in their happiness, thought I
heard Thomas breathing peacefully
in his bed, still dreaming about
that dump truck he and Grandma
kept filling and emptying, sand
tickling their bare feet, and I
couldn't help smiling at myself
looking back from the mirror,
ready to clap my hands and dance.
© 2001

(received a third place award in a ByLine competition; now part of Hollyhocks, my second collection of poems, released by Finishing Line Press)

Today's word: grumping

No comments: