Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Making the Pitch


First of all, a confession: I was not a pitcher.

Oh, I may have tossed a softball in the general direction of a batter a few times ... in a school playground game or two ... but, even in those games, I was usually somewhere deep in the outfield, keeping company with the gnats, just standing around, watching the slowly unfolding action, which seemed miles away.

Then there was a summer I spent much of the time "pitching" a tennis ball against the side of the garage (good practice toward the day when I might become a real pitcher ... and quite practical, because I had nobody to catch my pitches and toss the ball back to me).

But I wasn't a pitcher. Never was. Never will be.

Still, that didn't keep me from dreaming ... or daydreaming, as in this poem. Now that I have, for all practical purposes, given the secret of the poem away ... sorry about that ... here it is:


MAKING THE PITCH


I finger the ball, toe the rubber,
stretch and unleash my very
best pitch, watch it zooming


and dancing toward that pop
like a sudden shot against
the glove, watch the batter


standing, stunned, hear
the crowd's roar welling up,
filling the stadium, the buzz


of a fly nearby, the gentle
tinkling of ice, the hammock
swaying ever so gently.
© 2000
(originally published in Capper's)

Today's word: swaying
Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:
Thank you, Helen! It's really good to be back, albeit somewhat behind schedule still. The computer is still dragging its feet (can computers really do that?), but we're starting to dance together a little ... a waltz now ... maybe something a bit livelier later. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're back! It will take a while, I think, for people to realize you are up and running. I was so excited to see a new picture. I knew good things would follow, and they did! Thanks.
Take care, Helen