Sunday, December 23, 2007

Summer Dancers

Picture from Hometown

Speaking of dancing, I felt like dancing last night ... maybe not on the table, exactly, but around it ... and off into the living room ... and back around the table. And I'm not a dancer. Never could dance. Never will. Still ...

Last night I received word from Finishing Line Press that my third collection of poems, Wood Smoke, has been accepted for publication in 2008.

WHOOPEE! What a way to end this year ... and begin the next!

Meanwhile, it's back to the reality of an increasingly colder winter morning ... window-rattling winds ... no snow here ... yet ... but it's coming. I can feel it in my bones.

So-o-o-o ... I thought you might not mind a summer poem today, a mini-break from winter's opening number(s).

Though autumn's my favorite season ... well, spring's a very close second ... there are times, like this morning, when I tend to think just a bit about summer ... and find myself admitting that it's not quite as bad as I make it out to be.

Truth be known, I just don't tolerate winter cold as well as I once did, and shoveling has become more of a chore.

Of course, when summer really comes, I'll probably find myself thinking of crisp, cool mornings, the sun glinting on a new covering of snow ... my search for mittens and scarf.

All that aside, here's a glimpse of a place long, long ago and far away:

SUMMER DANCERS

Flecks of sunlight

descend through

the leafy canopy,

dancing on the path,

still dancing

after the breeze

has gone off

toward a hillside

lush with wheat

that slowly leans

and straightens,

as though hearing

soft music, too.

© 2001

(originally published in Capper's)

***

Today's word: canopy

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

You are so right, Magran: summer = HEAT. And I agree, it's nice to be snug as a bug in a rug when it's cold outside ... like right now. But there's something about summer, too ... the challenge, maybe. I've found that one secret to surviving the onslaught of summer is to take "shade hikes" ... in other words, I try to shun those indoor places with their air-conditioning ... (OK, so when I do feel my sox starting to melt, I duck inside a mall, or some place equally cool) ... but I like stayiing outdoors and darting from one shade to another ... possibly finding a bench there where I can just sit and watch the heat waves dancing, way off there.

Thank you, Southernmush ... I'm glad you liked the heat of this poem ... and I hope you're staying as snug as a bug in a rug (a phrase I borrowed from somone). Thank you, too, for those kind words about my third collection of poems finding a publisher. As you may have gathered, I'm pretty excited about that ... it gives me something to look forward to in 2008! Merry Christmas, and a happy new year to you, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen summer this way.  The very word "summer" conjurs up HEAT.  Don't like all that heat.  I'd rather be wrapped as snug as a bug in a rug...warm while all around me is stormy or cold.  

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Brimm,

Happy Holidays !!!!! I am so so so glad you shared a summer poem. It has been so cold lately that I miss the Summer weather I am longing for it now. I have been enjoying the holiday season but I miss the nice warm weather. Thanks for sharing this poem. I needed a Summer poem so thanks.

Do enjoy your Christmas and I am happy to hear that your third collection of poems has ben accepted for publication...that's wonderful. The world needs poets like you around. Do keep up the good work and congratulations !!!!!!