Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Summer Dancers ...

I thought you might not mind a summer poem today, a mini-break from what remains of winter.

I'm not quite ready for an abrupt plunge into summer weather, mind you ... I can take a transition to spring first. I do find myself thinking more of summer, though, in this opposite season. I don't tolerate winter cold as well as I once did, and shoveling has become more of a chore.

Of course, when summer really comes, I'll probably find myself thinking of crisp, cool mornings, the sun glinting on a new covering of snow ... my search for mittens and scarf.

Meanwhile, here's a glimpse of a place long, long ago and far away, originally published in Capper's:

Summer Dancers

Flecks of sunlight

descend through

the leafy canopy,

dancing on the path,

still dancing

after the breeze

has gone off

toward a hillside

lush with wheat

that slowly leans

and straightens,

as though hearing

soft music, too.

© 2001

***

Today's word: canopy

No comments: