Thursday, October 21, 2004

Beach Music ...

Waves come tumbling

onto the docile shore,
flinging foamy fingers
across the ochre plane.
Teeming with bubbles,
they search and settle,
soothingly diminuendo,
on a healing chord.
Eliciting a sigh
from pliant, sandy keys,
the fingers slide off
into the lap of the sea,
where joyous whitecaps
merrily urge them,
jostle and encourage them
to play it all again.

© 1998

(originally published in Capper's)


When it all began ...
Ah, there's a thought. It all began, I suppose, with that first acceptance for publication. An alert editor at Capper's spotted eight lines lurking near the middle of a longer poem I had submitted. She suggested that we keep those eight lines and my title, and that became:
Chance of Rain
The rain comes
in great galloping gulps,
faster than the soil
can sop it up.
It drums on the roof,
dances in the yard,
celebrates
all the way down the hill.
For sentimental reasons, this became the title poem ... nine years later ... in my first collection of poetry, Chance of Rain, published by Finishing Line Press.
Perhaps it began in mid-February, when it occurred to me that I could get some additional mileage out of my published poems by posting them online ... and sometimes explaining them ... along with samples of my paintings and photography. (Today's art is my watercolor entitled "Surf's Up").
That was the beginning of "Chosen Words," this online journal which has been blessed with more visitors than I ever dreamed would come its way. I especially appreciate all those electronic pats on the back which have made this a much easier trip than I thought it would be.
Perhaps it all began long, long ago, in Cobden, that small town in Southern Illinois where Miss Pearl, my eighth grade teacher, instilled a love of reading and struck the spark that would later become writing, real writing. It may have been with my grandmother, who first read to me.
It's hard to tell.
All of these things eventually led to "Chosen Words." And when this online journal, this new adventure, began in mid-February, I had no idea it would be one of those achieving featured status on AOL, as I understand it just has.
I am, of course, delighted.
Tonight the adventure continues with a book signing for Chance of Rain in Reader's Choice Bookstore, Centerville, Ohio.
And tomorrow? Tomorrow I resume dancing on the table.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING THE EDITORS PICK LIST!  
WELL DONE!
~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

Congrats on Top picks !   I read your poem and liked very much.  Thank You
for sharing your self and your writting.    ~Rhonda~
http://jounals.aol.com/rhondashkfree/TheDancesOfLife/

Anonymous said...

Congratualtions on being the #1 pick on the Editor's list. I've never been here before. I will have to read your journal now that I've found it.

I made #5 on the Editor's pick...better last than not at all. ;)

Sharon
http://journals.aol.com/spurgins311/PY

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Editor`s # 1 Pick!
I`m privileged to share the screen with you.
http://journals.aol.com/deabvt/DeablerVT/
V

Anonymous said...

congrats on editors pick this week - wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Congradulations on being the top 5. You're journal is great!!!!!!! We homeschool & I have two girls one 23 who graduated from Homeschooling & is teaching at a private school & one 16 who has her permit now and takes care of two special needs children several time a week. Both care for the elderly, love kids & animals & take Karate & Piano. We also love to go camping. We love animals and always take our tw big dogs camping. We love working on old cars also or just fixing our up. You can also check out our kodak pictures page first link in our OTHER JOURNALS LINKS. Cars, animals and our way of living are all there. We love getting posts in my journal & see how our daily life goes on I 'd love to hear from you.  LORI  

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your featured status!
Your writing has a distict rhythm, wonderful.  I have a question:  what advice do you give to aspiring poets for getting published?  My boyfriend is very talented and would love to see his work published.  
Again, congratulations.  I look forward to reading more!
Best regards, Melanie

Anonymous said...

Your poetry is beautiful, as is your command of the english language...I'm putting you on favorites and definitely will read more...thank you..Sandi http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/PoeticJourneyOfTheSoul

Anonymous said...

Consider yourself "electronically patted"...lol.
I live by the water and must admit that your lines capture the perfection of the shoreline. I am happy AOL has featured you, and I am so happy to discover such a journal treasure. Can not wait to read more.
:)
Loretta
http://journals.aol.com/lrttklly/LupusLeftovers/
http://journals.aol.com/lrttklly/LorettasStudio
http://journals.aol.com/lrttklly/FindingaVoice/


Anonymous said...

Wow! I love your journal and your poems!

http://journals.aol.com/disq54/DreamsvsWakingLife/

Anonymous said...

wow! .... wow. im so impressed. thanks for sharing :)

*dalyce* http://journals.aol.com/brokeninmyself/Whennothingelsematters

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the spotlight of #1!  I really like your journal!  

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being one of AOL Editor's Top Picks.  I am honored to share the spotlight with such esteemed company!  Truly, I am honored. I am only beginning my journey to the published world.

Lori  http://journals.aol.com/lorileeboard/ThePoetryinMe/

Anonymous said...

Wow Beautiful Poems !!!! Congrats on being Editor's #1 pick !!!! Ann

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS ON BEING EDITOR'S PICK!!!! Just beautiful work,all around...Thank You for the Inspiration and for sharing.D

Anonymous said...

Oh my you are talented!  My breath is taken away.....  I can't wait to read more of your entries!  You deserve that top pick this week!!!!!

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Very well deserved status as the editor's pick. So glad you decided to journal your poetry. It's quite beautiful.

Candace A. York
Manifestium
http://journals.aol.com/canyork/manifestium

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you were acknowledged by the AOL editors.  I have not visited your journal before and I have to say I love it!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to invite you to come visit me at my journal
http://journals.aol.com/punky5678/AnAppleADay

Anonymous said...

Congratulations-wonderful! In "The Way to Rainy Mountain," Native American poet Scott Momaday says "nothing comes into being until there are the words-We need to honor words, be aware of them, let them loose to lead us." I enjoy Poetry-Art and Photography very much! Thanks for sharing "Chosen Words!" _rRose

http://journals.aol.com/rrveh1/WAIT-NOTYET-/


Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful words.
                         *** Coy ***
http://journals.aol.com/coy1234787/Dancingintherain

Anonymous said...

YOUR JOURNAL LOOKS VERY INTERESTING, I LOVE POETRY AND WRITING MYSELF THOUGH I HAVE LITTLE TIME FOR IT.  CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR "PICK OF THE WEEK"..............STORMIE

Anonymous said...

I thank goodness for people like you who are still writing poetry. I really hope that you continue writing. You are encouraging. I am a 28 year old female who still finds that writing poetry is still a fun hobby even at this age. Keep writing !!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats....great journal!  Love poetry and write myself....  I've put some in my journal, but honestly am afraid to put it out there.  Not for fear of scrutiny, but perhaps fear of having some of my most private thoughts stolen....

Anyways, I'll be back.... I'm sure you'll have more *electronic pats on the back* than you ever dreamed of.... : )

Anonymous said...

love poetry. don't like yours, though.

Anonymous said...

congratulations on being on the Editor's Pick! -=)

I read the first poem & enjoyed it immensely.  Now, excuse me, I'll go read some more.  -=)

Anonymous said...

congrats on picks

Anonymous said...

Greetings!  All of us here at Finishing Line Press love your poetry and are so happy that your book is a huge success!  

Blessings,

Leah Maines, Sr. Editor, Finishing Line Press

Anonymous said...

Your poem, "Chance of Rain" reminded me of one day sitting, working on a hook rug and watching a Baltimore Oriole Baseball game back in the late 70s.  It start to rain causing a rain delay.  They aimed a camera on a puddle and these two guys, one used to play with the Orioles, talked about baseball back in the 40s, 50s & 60's.  I stopped working on my rug, leaned back and watched the rain hit the puddle and listened to these guys.  What an experience.  It never would happen today.

Thank you for reminding me of my interest in poetry.  I wrote a short one once, I'll have to see if I can remember it.

Now back to the World Series, stl 9, bos 9, top of the 8th, 2out

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say congratulations on being picked number #1.  Also, I love the photos.  Take care.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say "Thank You" this is most refreshing!